Monday, December 19, 2005

December 20, 1833

Traveling through Georgia, Mrs James Hine of New York City wrote to her mother:

When we got to Norwood's, where we were to spend the first night, evening was closing in around us... [The house] was of logs, a single story in height, presenting but one window and one door... I supposed the building to be the barn... What was my astonishment upon finding that it was the dwelling -- the house of the family with whom we were to stay!... they showed me into the little room on the end of the piazza... the bedstead was a rough specimen of home manufacture, and the bed, professedly of feathers, though there were not enough feathers in it to have made a decent pair of pillows... There was no mattress, but a dried cowhide laid upon the cords to prevent what feathers there were in the bed from sinking down between them... I felt very much as if I had got on the extreme border of civilization but one remove from savage life. I have read much of frontier life, but I never pictured to myself anything so wild as this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home